Thanks for visiting our blog! Please leave a comment letting us know you stopped by!

Friday, June 13, 2008

When I Grow Up...Wait I Already Did!!!

A few days ago a friend sent me a piece of flair on Facebook that said, "We're Adults! When did this happen and how do I make it stop?" Seriously?! I am an adult, what happened? One minute I was a teenager, rollerblading around Wasco with Niki, Deanna and Stephanie, the next minute, I'm 27, married with a house and full time job, with my 10 year high school reunion quickly approaching. We don't have kids yet, just dogs, but as my 30th birthday creeps ever-closer I can't help but wonder how fast the next 30 years are going to fly by?!

I don't regret being an adult, I mean there are a ton of awesome things about being able to make my own decisions, drive, earn a real salary, pursue my dreams, decorate a house the way I want to, be a part of a marriage (which is a whole separate category of adulthood altogether!), and the list goes on and on.

Sometimes though, it would be nice to be able to go back and spend a couple weeks or whatever in a different age, maybe back in high school, during the summer and lifeguarding with my best friends, or preschool where we still got to color and have snack time. :)

On the other hand, it kind of stinks being 27 and feeling like you should have to be act like a grown up all the time. So what if I want to wear socks with frogs on them or have a fun custom license plate? And I'll admit that I still have three stuffed animals in my adult house that occassionally accompany me for a nap!

I know fun grown-up times are still ahead, and I will enjoy watching my kids make their own memories, but it's just not quite the same. I'll continue growing up, because I have to, because I'm supposed to, and it's inevitable. But I will probably always wear fun socks and act like the occasional ditzy teenager.

"Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up, these are the best days of our lives....." - The Ataris

No comments: