Thanks for visiting our blog! Please leave a comment letting us know you stopped by!

Monday, May 4, 2009

Laid Off

Today was a sad day for me....and frustrating and confusing and humiliating all rolled into one. I was laid off from my job at Processes Unlimited due to "budget cuts." I was told I made more money than a lot of people so it made sense to let me go first. I had been there 13 days short of a year and it was a total shock to me. I had been working super hard, in fact, last week I had to take an extra almost full day off because I had so much overtime from working on special projects. Marketing was a busy dept. still, even with the economic slow down, since we bring in the business. I didn't specifically make sales, I did writing, photography and graphic design, but our dept. had been told we were safe from layoffs. Apparently not.

I was told at 3pm that I was being let go, got my severance pay, and was told to clean out my things and go home. My supervisor had to watch as I collected my belongings, sent out a few last emails, and tried to keep my composure. The suckiest part of it all was that they shut off my computer before I even had time to get any of my work to have for my portfolio. I'd been printing out a lot of it, but the most recent projects I worked on, which happened to be the biggest, I had no copies of and wasn't allowed to print them.

Supposedly I can say this is for the best, I was having a hard time choosing work or full-time mom or part-time work after Bailee gets here, I guess my decision was made for me. I just wish it had been closer to my due date so that I could still be getting my benefits and keep earning a paycheck until then, but I guess no one really has a choice about any part of being laid off.

I at least kept my tears to myself until I had gotten in my car and was driving out of the parking lot - I called Lee to tell him and that's when I fell apart. He was nice about the whole thing, I know, it's not my fault but I still feel like a loser for getting laid off. He met me at Lengthwise and tried to make me feel better with some fish and chips. It helped just a little bit but man, what a sucky day.

No comments: