Thanks for visiting our blog! Please leave a comment letting us know you stopped by!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Busy Life

Lately I've discovered that I've become very busy. I have been applying for jobs like crazy and finally have been hearing back from some of them. First I'd applied to be an editor of special publications for The Bakersfield Californian, but I apparently didn't have enough professional experience. They did like my writing so I am now a freelance writer/photographer for the Bakersfield Life Magazine and Kern Business magazine, my first two articles come out next month. I'll be sure to post links to them.

Then I applied to do part time graphics for Saba Ad Agency in Bakersfield, but that one I didn't get either. They said I was in the top three but they went with someone else. I also applied to be an admin assistant for another agency here in town, Heise Media Group, and have basically been offered the job. I would be the admin. asst. but also learn a ton about the advertising business, with opportunity for advancement. The only catch is that it is part time to start. I don't know the pay or how part time, 3 hrs a week or 20. It will probably be full time eventually, but that's up in the air too.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Bolthouse Farms. where I applied to be a product design person (graphics) for their food products which are mainly carrots and juices, but it would be cool to have my design featured on national products and they offer great benefits. Finally, the Californian wants a full time graphic designer for a project that will end in June and I'm waiting to hear back from them as well.

In the meantime, this week I've been subbing for 7th grade math and working on my two articles, due Friday. As soon as I finish subbing today and tomorrow I have to hurry back to Bakersfield (I sub in Wasco) to visit some art museums and artists and take some pictures. I have all my notes and info for the most part, I just have to actually do the writing.

To add to my busy schedule, I am a bridesmaid/co-maid of honor in the wedding of one of my best friends. I am really excited because the only other wedding I've really been involved in was my own. But that means a few busy weeks coming up, I helped plan one shower, attended a second and I am planning the third, which is also this weekend. Then I'm helping plan and coordinate the bachelorette party for the following weekend. The wedding is two weeks after that, in Templeton, CA.

Whew. So there's all the stuff I'm doing in the next few weeks. For someone who is unemployed at the moment, I sure have a lot to keep me busy.

No comments: